Sunday, March 11, 2012

Quilting

Today I begin quilting lessons! A friend of mine creates gorgeous quilts, and offered to teach me the basics.

It started with picking my pattern. Not as easy as it sounds! Of course, my eye was drawn to the patterns that were really too complicated for me to attempt as a beginner. I wanted to pick something I knew I could finish. So, after 30 minutes of standing in the pattern aisle, I finally selected one that used strips instead of multiple pieces to create one block. 

Next, I needed to pick my fabric. This was also time-consuming; there were so many cute fabrics, but every time I picked one, I couldn't find enough that went "with" it to make my quilt. 

Poor Josh. He was at the craft store with me. We were there for almost 2 hours. 

With my pattern and fabric in hand, I headed to my friend Tracy's this morning. We ironed, cut, sewed, ironed, and sewed some more. After 8+ hours, my quilt is coming together beautifully!

I still need to finish the binding, but this was enough for today. 

I had so much fun! This is just the kind of relaxing project I can see myself enjoying on the weekend. I may have found my new hobby!

2 comments:

  1. I love it! So fun that you had a girl's day doing something crafty and learning a new skill. I think the quilt is BEAUTIFUL and Saryn is going to LOVE it!!! Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY! for the new hobby :D Quilting has been on my hobby to learn list for years. I'm jealous (not terribly, just a little) I like the quilt. And bonus points for Josh ;)

    ReplyDelete