Sunday, September 12, 2010

Teaching a Class

I have had the opportunity to co-teach a class this month. We're half-way through the month, and I LOVE IT! Its a professional development class; I'm helping students with their career portfolio's (cover letters, resumes, references, master applications) and preparing for interviews. It's interesting to me how my students (most of whom are older than me) are completely unprepared to write a cover letter, and that the idea of transferable skills is so completely foreign that I had to not only define them, but give specific examples and even help people add to their list of transferable skills because they cannot identify them.

I'm enjoying the class, the grading process, and figuring out how to communicate effectively and help these students position themselves to find employment as they graduate from their respective programs. I'm excited to have more opportunities to teach, and hope they become more frequent!

2 comments:

  1. I'm sure you are an amazing teacher! I'm so glad you are getting the opportunity to get your feet wet in an area you are so interested in. I know your positive attitude is a blessing for your students as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're going to have to help me in 20 years when I re-enter the nursing field as a rusty old mom. :) You can help make me sound like I'm worth getting a second chance! Hahaha...just kidding. Hopefully I won't get THAT rusty. But I'll call you anyway.

    ReplyDelete