Sunday, October 23, 2011

Menu Planning

I know plenty of people who don't menu plan. Some don't because they want to cook whatever "sounds good" when they get hungry. Some don't because they get frustrated or overwhelmed by the idea. I'm sure there are numerous other reasons. I, however, am a planner. And that includes menu planning.

Last week I had taken a couple of days off of work. While I was home, I decided to do my next menu plan (usually done 2 weeks at a time). I pulled out 2 of my recipe books that I haven't used in a few months and sat down to create my menu. Once I completed 3 weeks worth of meals (I got carried away!) and the grocery list that went with the menu plan, I went shopping.

Upon my return from the grocery store, I was feeling particularly energized and ready to be super-organized. So, in addition to separating my larger packages of meat into individually-proportioned bags (labeled by the meal they were to be used for, of course!) I went ahead and sliced or cubed any meat that required it, as per the recipe instructions.

Now, if fajitas are for dinner (2 nights ago) I can simply pull the fajita bag out of the freezer... once the meat is defrosted, I can cook it. Without having to slice it. It's ready to go. That part is fabulous on nights that I'm not home quite as early as I've anticipated. It's all about the little time savers.

Tonight we had steaks in mushroom sauce... and tomorrow night is stove-top meatloaves. While some people may not enjoy menu-planning, I am so glad that I don't have to worry about what is for dinner... I can simply look at my guide, pull out the meat I need, and have a meal the next night in 30 minutes or less.

With all of that in mind, I've been thinking about starting a side business to help people menu plan. I actually have a lady that said she'd pay me to create her menu plan and grocery list, which got me thinking that maybe others would, too! It's still in the thinking/planning part of the process, but it's intriguing!

I love menu planning. Of course, I also love thinking about food. And being organized. Combining those things could be the start of something for me... :)

2 comments: